The Warm Up - Seated Stretches
Our Warm Up series will be highlighting 10-15 minute activities to do while NAPP'S clean dairy-free ice cream softens up to supreme smoothness.
We included 8 Seated Stretches from friend’s of Napoleon at THE WELL to center yourself before indulging in a frozen treat.
Aim to hold each stretch for 15 to 30 seconds — the amount of time proven to be the most effective. Also, make sure that you hold the stretch to a point of mild discomfort, but never pain!
1. Seated Spinal Rotation
- Move toward the front of your chair and lean forward. Place palms together between legs with arms fully extended.
- Reach one hand up and rotate to the side. Work with your breath and exhale while rotating, then inhale on the way back to center. Switch sides.
2. Chest Opener with Upper Back Extension
- Place arms behind the head with fingers interlocked.
- Extend back over the chair while engaging your core and abdominals. Be sure not to allow the lower back to extend.
- Optional: Use a ball or pillow and place it midway down the back prior to extending backwards.
3. Neck Stretch
- Sit tall and upright. Grasp the bottom of the chair with your hand to keep the shoulder depressed.
- Bring your opposite hand overhead and gently provide pressure on your head as you bring your ear toward your opposite shoulder.
- Hold, then repeat on the other side.
4. Overhead Triceps Stretch
- Lift one arm overhead. Bend the elbow fully, letting the hand drop toward the mid-back with your palm facing your back.
- Place your opposite hand on your elbow and apply pressure to increase the stretch. Hold, then repeat on the other side.
5. Upper Back Stretch
- Stretch your arms out in front of your body. Clasp one hand on top of your other hand.
- Reach out until you feel your shoulder blades stretching away from each other.
- Gently bend your head forward. Hold.
6. Seated Hip Stretch
- Sit at the edge of the chair with feet flat on the floor.
- Cross your leg and place your ankle on your opposite thigh close to the knee.
- Place one hand on your heel and opposite hand on your thigh close to the knee.
- Gently add pressure from your right hand to your right thigh, pressing towards the floor for a greater stretch. Hold, then repeat on the other side.
- If you have more flexible hips, lean your chest forward to increase the stretch even more.
7. Lower Back Rotation
- Sit upright, keeping your feet flat on the floor. Twist to one side at the core, keeping hips square and spine tall.
- Position your hands behind your head or place your left hand on your right knee to support the stretch. Hold, then repeat on the other side.
- If you're more flexible, cross one leg over the other to increase the stretch intensity.
8. Seated Hamstring Stretch
- Rest your heel on the floor, keeping your leg straight.
- Gently lean forward until a stretch is felt behind your knee/thigh.
- Hold, then repeat on the other leg.
- You can intensify the stretch by pointing your ankle and toes upwards towards your body.
If you made it to the end of this article please enjoy 10% off your next order with promo code “Napoleon”. We hope your state of bliss extends through every bite of NAPP’S Ice Cream.